Thursday, June 10, 2010

"Paper Pregnant"

I feel pregnant and I LOVE it! I wake up thinking about our baby and go to sleep thinking about our baby. I have no physical reminder of my pregnancy, but I believe God is giving me reminders daily of the precious child that He will bless us with. You know that instinct to hold your belly when your pregnant? We do it before we even have a baby bump. I was constantly touching my belly and patting my babies. This time around I find myself reaching for my heart instead of my stomach. When I think of our baby, talk about him/her, or read anything pertaining to orphans or Ethiopia, I immediately reach for my heart. I do this not only because my heart literally breaks the more I learn about what these precious children have to endure, but also because I believe the Lord is growing this child in my heart. I am longing for the day when I can feel, touch and kiss on our child. But until then I will continue to pray for and pursue him/her with pen and paper, and take great delight in the moments that God gives me when I can "feel" our baby stirring in my heart!

I am going to leave you with a few statistics about the orphans in Ethiopia. These numbers are "heart grabbers" for me. I wish I could think of a great segue into this, but I can't. So, I will give you the hard facts and pray that the Lord blesses it.

In Ethiopia:
- there are 5 million orphans
- 1 out of 20 children born alive die in their first month of life
- 1 out of 10 die before reaching their first birthday
- 1 out of 6 die before their fifth birthday
- 1/3 of the population survives on less than 1 USD a day
- Ethiopia ranks 30th in the world in under-five mortality rate
- only 24% of households have access to safe drinking water

"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come for you." John 14:18

9 comments:

~angie said...

this scripture makes me cry...His great promise to His people. The Creator of everything is asking little ol' us to partner with Him in fulfilling this promise. We will be so happy to start the journey too...pave the way McCuistons!! :)

Laura said...

I only got through one sentence of this beore I burst into tears. And you're right...you do touch your heart when you talk about the baby. I'd never thought much about it before, but I WILL now! What a perfect, perfect, Spirit-driven reminder of this sweet one who is going to change everything. Amazing. We love you!!

Chelsea said...

I love your sweet heart, and how eloquently you describe the love we already have as adoptive moms for our precious ones across the world. That is so sweet that you physically hold your heart when you think of your little one. :)

My sisters gave me a necklace to say this very thing, and I wear it every day. It says "I hold your heart in mine". It's so true!

Ashley said...

I found your link of Laura's blog! This is SO exciting! I am SO happy for you, friend. can't wait to hear more about your journey.

Patti Jones said...

Beautifully written post - so happy for you all and will be praying that the process will go quickly. What a wonderful future this baby will have being a "McCuiston". Congratulations!!!!

Alyssa said...

Angie, we are so excited for you!!! I loved reading your heartfelt post- and I am so excited to follow your journey! Congratulations!

Erin said...

Love it Ang! I am offering to name the baby if you & Jay need help. :)I've already been thinking...

heather.m.herron@gmail.com said...

Congrats to you and Jason! How exciting! There's a family at our church who are also adopting from Ethiopia. Here's a link to a necklace she just got....

http://www.etsy.com/listing/46966665/custom-adoption-stamped-necklace

She reaches for her necklace now like she would rub her belly when she was pregnant. :)
~Heather

The Raudenbush Family said...

Hooray for being paper pregnant! :) Looking forward to following your journey!
Kelly
from www.wearegraftedin.com